Monday, May 30, 2011

Burgoo


Burgoo is constantly getting crossed off our list.  Not because it's bad- on the contrary, it's too popular.  Going there is an exercise in frustration.  Burgoo Main Street is tiny and seems to always be full, with a oft-sizable line out the door.  Their soups and sandwiches really resonate with people here, and considering it's been a long, cold winter, we've been more in need of warming up than usual.  But it was a rainy Sunday, so we came in at 4:30 and managed to get a table.

I was still in a brunch mood so I ordered coffee.  It came on a wooden plank.  I concluded all meals should be served on wood.  This was a promising start.  I love the interior of Burgoo because it's all polished wood and exposed beams.  It's like a chalet and a backwoods cabin, rustic and modern.

I ordered the Burgoo biscuits.  These are homemade biscuits with cheddar and parsley.  For $4 you get 4 biscuits and enough butter to spread over them all.  They're small biscuits but that is just an incredible bargain.  Considering they come out fresh and warm and delicious, you really can't go wrong.  Even though they're just little, you can still break them up and butter them, and they hold together.  So rare!  The only criticism is that after a couple, one does find the cheese flavour a little heavy.  I also had the delicious French Onion soup so overall I was full and happy.  I think Burgoo is a bit overrated but man these biscuits were incredible.

Overall: 4.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment