Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Beach House

We went to the Beach House in Dundarave the other day.  It was snowy.  My mom was visiting.  It's a pretty fancy place, so one must expect a fancy scone.  Indeed, for $3.50 you can get the Fresh Baked Scone, with Devonshire cream and berry compote.
Since they were still serving brunch, naturally I ordered the scone and a coffee.
First, the coffee.  A small cup, coffee was a little thin and watery.  Not the best, but drinkable, certainly.  I was in dire straits by that point so the caffeine was appreciated.
Now, the scone.  It was warm from the oven, or was it the heat lamp? (truly, my cynicism knows no bounds.)  No cream was in evidence, sadly.  The berry compote was good, but how to apply it?  The scone was too thin to cut in half.  Both brittle and too crumby, it splintered as you sank the knife in, and spilled its crumbs on the plate.  I managed to cut it into thirds and it did taste good, if a little bland.
The rest of the food was very good, but, this is a scone review.


Overall- 2 / 5.  Probably wouldn't go back.  And where is my god-damned Devonshire cream, Beach House?

No comments:

Post a Comment