Monday, March 21, 2011

Butter

Searching for "Vancouver scones" will quickly lead you to glowing reviews of Butter, a bakery out by Dunbar & 27th.  I decided to make the trek on Saturday morning.  After sleeping in until 11 I was pretty hungry.
The first thing you notice upon arrival is the wonderful aroma.  It's like your kitchen after you've been baking cookies, but maybe like fifty batches of cookies, and not those kind of meh cookies that you make, but the kind that someone good at baking would make.  It smelled pretty good.  I probably inhaled at least half a cinnamon bun.
The decor is also worthy of note.  If you wanted to define the word 'twee' to someone, you might suggest a visit to Butter.  Actually I found it pretty nice and kind of old-timey.  They had aprons that say, "I love Butter," and ever-so-lovely little jars of sauce and fancy marshmallows and what not.  Probably a good place to go Christmas shopping for your diabetic aunt.

Now, on to the scone.  I get the impression that they're more of a cookie and pastry type shop, and it shows in this scone.  My choice was the Scone of the Day, the Butterscotch Maple Walnut.  It had a pleasing heft to it.  I knew this was no dainty scone - I'd be in for a battle.
The butterscotch chips and the way it was baked give it a very cookie-like crunch on the outside and a slightly burnt taste.  Inside it was a little crumbly but pleasingly so.  It certainly held itself together well.  Really, given the sweetness and texture, it was a lot like a big cookie.  It hit me hard.  I couldn't imagine eating a second one.  Not right away, certainly.  As breakfast, probably not recommended.  But I'll back for round two, Butter!

Overall: 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment